Saturday 26 March 2011

Sorry, some failures and an improvised hummus

Apologies for my recent lack of posts.  Unfortunately recent meals I've been less than successful with my little one.  Things I've tried this week include an (adult) meal from a food website (which he decided was too bland) and stir fried vegetables with noodles, garlic, ginger and a tiny bit of soy (fine with the peppers but the noodles just confused and frustrated him).  Not a result.


The one success we've had over the past week has been with an improvised hummus.  I had some haricot beans waiting to be used up in the fridge and so made this up to put in a sandwich for him.  The reason I've avoided commercial hummus is because it contains tahini (as he has eczema I'm being very cautious about introducing nuts or sesame yet) and it also contains salt.

'Hummus' style haricot dip

Half a tin of haricot beans
Half a clove of garlic, crushed until smooth
Squeeze of lemon juice
A small splash of water
Olive oil

Method

Puree all of the above ingredients until you have the texture you like.

I also made some soft cheese sandwiches but they went straight on the floor whereas he seemed to like this and was chewing and licking away at them.


I know this isn't traditional because it's not made with chickpeas but haricot beans was what I had and it kinda worked.  Might be worth trying with other pulses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.