Sunday 10 April 2011

Fish Cakes - babies on finger foods

Hmm, maybe I will step into the 21st century and actually post a photo...  Bear with me.


I've not tried reheating and serving these yet but I'm intending to do so by defrosting them from the freezer in the fridge then reheating in the oven.  My gut feel is they'd reheat better this way as they are a bit soft.  Despite that, my 11 month old still managed to eat them well.  I served them with some sweetcorn and followed up with some fresh fruit and yoghurt which made it almost a complete finger food meal.  

Salmon Fish Cakes (makes about 4 portions)



Ingredients

2 potatoes boiled or baked and mashed
Approx 100g of tinned salmon (or other fish, see below)
Soft herbs, chopped (I used a few sprigs of garlic chives and herb fennel but parsley, dill or normal chives would work well)
Wholemeal flour
Unsalted butter
Oil

Method

Heat oven to 200 degrees C.  Mix the mashed potato, fish and herbs (get your hands in).  Form into little balls, slightly smaller than a walnut and squish a little.  Dip into the flour to dust lightly.  Fry each side in the oil and butter and put into a baking dish.  Bake for around 15 mins until hot through.

The joy with tinned salmon is that it still contains Omega 3; tuna for some reason doesn't, although you could always use other tinned fish or poached fresh or frozen fish.  I can't quite bring myself to crunch up the bones and serve them to him but they are soft(er) than fresh fish bones and a good source of calcium, however they fail my "would I eat it?" test.  I mean, I have a guilty pleasure of quite liking pilchards in tomato sauce but I still bone them before eating them.  I know, I know.

Update:


I tried reheating some today.  I defrosted at room temperature for about 90 mins to 2 hours (they were still cold but defrosted.  If you have time defrost them in the fridge.)  I then reheated in a 200oC oven for 15-20 mins as I was also cooking him some sweet potato wedges.  The fishcakes reheated really nicely, crisping on the outside and he loved them with the wedges. 

Sweet Potato Wedges


Ingredients
1/2 - 1/4 Sweet Potato, depending on size (orange fleshed variety)
Olive Oil
Herbs (optional)
Spices (optional, sweet paprika could be good)

Method

Peel the sweet potato and cut up into wedges the size of british chips (approx 5cm by 1.5cm by 1.5cm).  Coat in the olive oil, add herbs or spices if wanted.  Roast in a 200oC oven for 35 minutes.

Like this recipe?  Why not try the Salmon and Spinach Fishcake recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.