Sunday 8 May 2011

My son is 1! (And cheese scones!)

Hi all!  I can't believe it!  My son is 1 year old!


This time, last year, I was sat in my lounge thinking "why won't the contractions get closer together?" and getting frustrated (our birth centre had told us to wait till they were 3 mins apart.)  Luckily we decided at about 3pm that they were getting stronger so it was worth going in.  We got there at 3:30pm to find I was 10cm dilated and my son was born at 4:15pm in a birthing pool with gas and air.


Oh if I could go back to me sat in that lounge.  What would I say?  Maybe "don't be worried about the birth but the sleep deprivation is a killer!"


Anyway, worry ye not, I intend to continue blogging with child friendly foods and I will keep thinking on suitable foods for babies as well as my little toddler!


This recipe I have to admit I adapted from one I found on the internet but I can't remember where I found it so sorry, if this is your recipe, I nicked it!  Please comment and I'd be happy to acknowledge the source!  It would be suitable for adults or babies who are on finger foods (or baby led weaners).  There's a small amount of salt from the cheese and some sodium from the raising agent in the flour but probably not excessive. 


Cheese and Herb Scones - Makes Approx 10 - 12 depending on size

Ingredients

8oz Self Raising Flour
1 and a half oz Unsalted Butter
1 tsp chopped herbs (I used thyme)
2 oz grated extra mature cheddar
1/4 pt full fat milk

Method

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.

Rub the butter and flour together until they resemble breadcrumbs.  (You can do all of this in a food processor btw.)  Stir in cheese and herbs.  Add enough milk to come together as a dough, you won't need it all so add it slowly.  Kneed briefly then press or roll out into a layer about 1.5cm thick.  Cut into pieces either using a cutter or cutting into sticks (which younger babies particularly might find easier.)  Brush with some of the remaining milk* and bake for 12-15 mins until risen and brown.

Good for snacks or as part of a lunch as an alternative to sandwiches.

* For older children and adults it might be nice to add an additional sprinkle of cheese onto the top at this point.

2 comments:

  1. Happy 1st Birthday, hope you have had a super day and that Mummy made you a lovely big cake x

    ReplyDelete
  2. No cake yet, his birthday party is next weekend and his Daddy has decided he wants to make a cake! I may make an emergency cake just in case...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.