Wednesday 29 June 2011

No Added Sugar Frozen Yoghurt

Why is it when I've been on holiday to Southern Europe it seems possible to have heat without feeling like you're going to suffocate?  
Monday was like walking through treacle.  I was so desperate for some rain.  We cast aside the grobag it was that bad!


Anyway, it got me thinking about pudding ideas and I came up with this.   This is a no added sugar frozen yoghurt.  Again as I've said before, just because I've added sugar does not mean I can call it a sugar free frozen yoghurt, there are natural sugars in there and quite a lot of them with the dried fruit; still, at least it's not refined and comes along with a helping of fibre and a few minerals.  Anyway, I feel a little less guilty giving him this, after all he eats enough raisins and this way I'm not only cooling him down, I'm sneaking in some yoghurt too.


Unfortunately it didn't go down well with my little one because the temperature had dropped by a good 10 degrees by the time we tried it but my husband liked it.  I will try it again.


I've been told you can make frozen yoghurt without an ice cream maker but it would be a pain and involve loads of whisking.  Trust me, if you're a mum, you don't have time.  Ice cream makers though start at basic models like the one I have where you freeze the bowl before you use it.  Unfortunately though I may have to learn how to do this as I managed to break the lid washing the stupid thing up.  Grrr!


Apple, Sultana and Cinnamon Frozen Yoghurt - makes approx 6 baby portions.  Suitable for all babies who are ok with cold things!  Also quite successful with adults.

Ingredients

2 Eating apples, peeled, cored and cut into pieces
100g Sultanas (or raisins)
1/2 tsp powdered cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
300g full fat yoghurt, greek or 'greek style' is good

Method

Cook the apple with a little water, the dried fruit and the cinnamon.  Cook until the apple is slightly softened.  Puree (reserve the water and add it in if needed; you want to use the minimum amount of water you can but add more if it won't puree.)  Cool in a fridge until thoroughly cold.

Mix the puree with the yoghurt, pour into the ice cream maker, follow the manufacturers instructions.  Either serve immediately or put into a freezer box.  Defrost for 30 mins before serving if it's been in the freezer as it does set a bit firm.  It's probably a good idea to put in the freezer in individual portions as otherwise you won't be able to chip off what you need.

2 comments:

  1. This looks great, will give it a try. Do you use a vanilla pod or 'pretend' vanilla?
    I am lucky that DH bought me a Gaggia icecream machine. It is fantastic. I made a lovely strawberry/yoghurt/buttermilk icecream last week.
    Hope you and LO are OK. Miss you on BC x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks. I used vanilla extract so it's real vanilla just not with the cost of a vanilla pod. I don't think they even sell vanilla essence anymore which is what we used to use when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.