Thursday 9 August 2012

Chickpea and Spinach Curry

I have been making curries like this for years but I wrote down the recipe for the first time to go with Tandoori Chicken.  Although I would normally serve some kind of salad on the side with Tandoori Chicken, my fridge was a little bare and so I knocked this up from store cupboard and basic ingredients to ensure my son had a bit of variety in his meal.





Chickpea and Spinach Curry - Makes 4 portions minimum

Ingredients

1 Onion, chopped finely
1 tsp Oil
2 Cloves garlic
2 tsp Curry Paste (I used a medium curry paste as I was making this for my son.  He likes a bit of spice.  You could easily make this spicier or milder by varying the type and quantity of curry paste.)
1/2 tin Chopped tomatoes
1 tin Chickpeas, drained.  I used Kala Chana; these are dark chickpeas which are pretty small with a good flavour but you can use any kind.
150ml boiling water
2 tsp Mango Chutney
50g Frozen spinach
1 tsp Garam masala

Method

Fry the onion gently in the oil in a saucepan until softened and then add the garlic, stir for a minute or so then add the curry paste.

Add in the remaining ingredients apart from the spinach and garam masala.  Simmer for 25-30 minutes with the lid off, stirring occasionally until the onion is fully cooked and the sauce is thickening.  Add in the spinach and cook until fully melted and cooked through.  Add in the garam masala.

Serve!  This reheats and freezes really well.  Great served as a side dish or as a curry in it's own right.

Here's it served with some tandoori chicken, mint raita and naan:


I've linked this up to the Wellness Weekend here.

14 comments:

  1. yum - look sgreat. I love chick peas, so do the kids. I will try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My word, I think that's the fastest post to comment ever! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. So now I am dreaming of curry, that's tea sorted for tonight then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! I've been a bit curry mad recently!

      Delete
  3. This looks wonderful! I love ethnic foods! Thanks for linking up! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's handy; I'm making your Tandoori Chicken for dinner tomorrow night and had planned to make a vegetable curry to go with it...sorted :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this dish and that it's made of natural ingredients. It looks so healthy and delicicous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I try to keep things as natural as possible.

      Delete
  6. This looks great! I love chickpeas and I love curry! :) My name is Cindy and I blog over at Vegetarianmamma.com I wanted to invite you to link up your recipe at our Gluten Free Fridays Recipe Link up party! It happens every Friday and we'd love to have you join us with some of your awesome recipes! You can find this week's link up here: http://vegetarianmamma.com/gluten-free-friday-recipe-link-up-1/
    Thanks, Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've had a hugely busy weekend so I've not had a chance this Friday but I will take a look. In the meantime, take a look at my vegetarian recipes tab. Although I'm not veggie, I don't think a meal has to have meat in it to make it a meal and I hope my recipes show that.

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.