Tuesday 13 November 2012

Chorizo and Mozzarella Panini for Toddlers

Ok, I know I'm mixing countries here but panini aren't Italian anyway.  If you asked for a panino in Italy, you'd probably get a bread roll!

But in the UK (and I think the US where it was probably invented) it has come to mean a toasted sandwich normally made in a baguette or ciabatta.  I often share one of these with my son if there is no other option when we're out.  I say "if there's no other option" because they're often served in cafes which are one of the few places in some towns which will serve food at 11:30/11:45 which is when my little man gets hungry.



Well it occurred to me that we often make toasted sandwiches in our famous boxer endorsed "grilling machine" so why not panini?  I chose chorizo because there was precious little choice of Italian salamis in my local supermarket this morning, certainly nothing spicy and I like chorizo.  I chose mozzarella because you need something which melts well.

Chorizo and Mozzarella Panini - serves 2 adults and 1 toddler

Ingredients

2 and a half mini baguettes or ciabattas
1 large tomato
125g ball of mozzarella
60g / 2oz approx of thinly sliced chorizo (or more if you're in a meaty mood).
Spray oil

Method

Preheat your grilling machine.

Slice the tomato thinly and the mozzarella.



Open up the baguettes and layer up the chorizo, mozzarella and tomato inside.  Close them back up.  I found I had to halve them to cook so just check the size of your grill.  Spray a little spray oil on the outside of the baguettes then put in the machine pressing down on them to flatten slightly.

Cook for 3-5 minutes in the machine.  I found if I cooked on high it would be pretty toasted on the outside but not boiling hot in the middle, which can be a good thing when serving to a toddler but if you want it hotter all of the way through, just cook on a lower heat for longer.

Allow to cool before serving to a toddler (if you open it out again it cools pretty quickly) and serve with carrot and cucumber sticks on the side.

I've linked this up to Totally Tasty Tuesdays and Seasonal Inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.