Saturday 26 January 2013

Baked Chicken with Garlic and Rosemary

A simple piece of chicken, cooked with some flavour and it is guaranteed that anything with breadcrumbs is more likely to be eaten by a child.  No added salt, not reformed chicken, just simple, proper food.

The amounts below are for one chicken breast.  I would happily share this with my son and certainly it would be enough for two kids.  For adults you might want to serve one chicken breast each.  If you do make more, just make sure your dish is big enough so there's a bit of space around each breast so it cooks evenly and the crumbs go crispy.  Sliced up this makes great finger food for younger children or older babies too.




Baked Chicken with Garlic and Rosemary - serves 2 children

Ingredients

1 Chicken breast, skinless and boneless
1/2 clove of garlic, crushed
A few needles of rosemary, finely chopped.  I used rosemary because it's the only herb poking through the snow in my garden right now!
2 tbsp Natural full fat yogurt
1 tbsp Grated extra mature / vintage (sharp) cheddar or another strong cheese
1-2 tbsp Breadcrumbs (made fresh, not from a packet, see tip below)
1 tsp Olive oil

Method

Put the chicken breast in a bowl and coat with the garlic, rosemary, yogurt and cheddar.  Refrigerate until ready to cook (preferably marinade for 2 - 12 hours).



Preheat the oven to 200oC / 400F, Put the chicken breast in a baking dish and cover on top with the breadcrumbs.  Drizzle over the olive oil and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through (26 minutes in my oven but this will depend on the size of the breasts and the characteristics of your oven.)



Check the chicken is cooked through, allow to cool for a bit then serve with vegetables, potato wedges or sweet potato wedges would be nice and would make use of the oven which was already on.

Tip:  You can buy breadcrumbs and, in fact, I have a pack of Panko breadcrumbs in my cupboard waiting to make katsu with sometime but the cheapest and easiest thing to do is when you have the odd few slices or crust of a loaf left, whizz them up into crumbs in a food processor and freeze them.  Great for using for this recipe, in stuffings, for coating chicken nuggets or mushrooms, all kind of stuff and effectively free as you would have ended up chucking that bit away.  It's frugal food folks and it's all good!

I've linked this up here.

6 comments:

  1. This looks great, always good to find new and easy ways to serve chicken

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing, my Hubs would love it and me too, i have pinned it, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I made it for my husband and I the other day when my son was in bed. We both loved it.

      Delete
  3. I love simple, but flavorful chicken recipes. Thanks so much for sharing on Foodie Friday!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.