Thursday 8 August 2013

Easy Gazpacho for Grown Ups

An inauthentic gazpacho for people who can't get decent tomatoes!  It is the prerequisite to get decently ripe ones for a proper gazpacho, this is a sneaky and cheap way around it.

I've not tried my son on this yet, soup for a meal is a generally popular choice for him but cold soup... perhaps a stretch too far.  But this is delicious and easy.  Great to take for lunch and a healthy and quick summer dish for parents when you really are tired after bath-time.




Gazpacho - Serves 2 adults

500g, 18oz Passata
1/2 Red pepper (capsicum)
100g Cucumber
1 Dried red chilli
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp Red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
Extra virgin olive oil to serve

Method

Cut the pepper and cucumber into chunks.  Chop the garlic finely and cut up the dried chilli.  Put everything apart from the olive oil into a blender and blend until smooth.

Pour into bowls and drizzle with olive oil before serving.  Be generous with the oil.

Somehow this is what my body craves when tired and run down.  It's food for the soul.

Make it Thrifty:
I find that the value / smart price passata is just as good as the regular or premium brands from the supermarket.  Give it a go!

4 comments:

  1. My husband and I were just discussing "cold tomato soup" at lunch today. I think I may have to try this in hopes that he is correct and I will like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh yum, I love gazpacho. I fully intend to give this a go.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.