Monday 16 December 2013

Vegetable fritters - great for babies and toddlers on finger foods

After making my sweetcorn fritter recipe; I was determined there must be a good vegetable fritter recipe in me.  Look, I know courgettes (zucchini) aren't terribly seasonal at this time of year but they are still available in the shops and I'm sure you could substitute for another ingredient if you prefer.

This made a lovely, soft, pancake like texture which would be great for babies first finger foods, either alongside traditional weaning or as part of baby led weaning.




Vegetable Fritters - makes approx 10

Ingredients

40g, 1.5oz Self Raising flour (or plain, all purpose flour with 1/2 tsp baking powder)
1 egg
3 tbsp Milk
40g, 1.5oz Grated extra mature (extra sharp) cheddar
40g, 1.5oz Grated courgette (zucchini)

Spray oil or oil to cook.

Method

Mix the egg, milk and flour together to make a batter.  Whisk out any lumps.

Add in the courgette (zucchini) and cheese.

Preheat a non stick pan on a medium heat and oil lightly or use spray oil.  Fry tbsp of the mixture, probably about 3-4 max at any time until the bases are brown (better to cook too slowly rather than too quickly to ensure they cook through.)

Flip and cook the other side; maybe 2-3 minutes each side.



Serve with an assortment of vegetables.  My son really liked these.  The cheesiness is unexpected but really comes through.  This would be a great way to get some veggies into children who are a bit more fussy.

It just so happens that January's Family Foodies challenge is all about 'hidden goodies'.  Is there a more appropriate challenge for Mamacook?  I think not!  So I've submitted this along with a few other recipes to Bangers and Mash and Eat your veg's challenge:

8 comments:

  1. Mmmm looks yummy, thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried these out on my "I'm-not-going-to-even-contemplate-vegetables" 18 month old! She ate 4 in sitting! Currently plotting ways to sneak other veggies into these......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT IS FANTASTIC! There are loads of hidden vegetable recipes on my site. Why not try some mini meatloaves or even some parsnip cake?

      Delete
  3. Do you have any more finger food ideas please? I love this idea. I guess you could make fruity scotch pancakes for them too? My baby is 6 months old and I'm looking for new but fairly straightforward ideas xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I have absolutely loads of finger food ideas! If you have a look at the top right of this page, under the contact page is a list of links, try "great finger foods", alternatively here are a few favourites:
      Sugar free pancakes
      Cheese biscuits, great for snacks
      Broccoli nuggets
      Fishcakes

      Delete
  4. Can you freeze these? Also can you freeze the brocolli nuggets? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently tried this recipe and used a little less cheese, added a little carrot and sweet corn, and my 11 month old loved them. She's going through a "no veg" phase at the minute and these really worked. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.